Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More Went in China news & pic!



The past four years, Wentworth Miller & "Prison Break" have become much a part of our lives. But earlier this year, Fox Television announced that "Prison Break" will end with it's 4th season. For many fans, this is "bad news" can be handsome for the meter is concerned, there is no longer "Prison Break", but to some extent it is good news for Wentworth. "Prison Break" is over, I am very glad, really." Wentworth says that he is very fond of traveling, but over the past four years, he has not had the opportunity to travel, "because once I start a job, I'm a workaholic..." (Sorry I couldn't make heads or tails of the rest of this part - just know it said something about considering the future.)

Last week Went finished shooting "Prison Break" & he says after some time, he finally has a chance to rest well! "Maybe I can enjoy the time off (possibly tour to China). I am also very grateful..." (Again, this translation things sucks! Not quite sure what to make of it but it was something about him either being re-discovered as an actor, allowing himself the opportunity to freely select something he really wants to do OR re-inventing himself as an actor and finding the best role for him. Sorry about that but the real meaning was lost in the translation.)

However, as a "Prison Break" fan, one cannot help but ask Went about the finale of the show, the last two hours set at the end of the regular 22 episode season. "The last two hours will be an independent "Prison Break" story. I (his character Michael Scofield) will encounter very serious challenges." Wentworth was willing to answer questions to appease reporters, but was careful not to give anything away. "I can't disclose the specifics, but these extra two hours are for the fans, for all the support we've received from them for four years. I believe it will be a perfect ending for everyone & they will be satisfied."


Wentworth requested xiao long bao (see below for description, though I wasn't clear on if he requested it this time or if this is what he wants when he returns). Yesterday in an interview, when asked about his impression of China, he said: "I know about Beijing roast duck & Shanghai dumplings, but there is so much more worth knowing about but China is a large place. Even if I could spend a lifetime in China, I don't think I could know everything. (I wasn't clear on those two statements.) The fans here have touched me. I'll always remember the girl who found my university thesis & downloaded a copy from the Internet for me to autograph. This type of passion makes me so grateful. For me, as long as there is any chance, I will come back to China."

I wasn't clear on whether or not he is actually returning to China again in mid-April but he was asked about it & about his filming the Chinese directed movie "East Wind Rain", he says: "I would like to, but I'm afraid I won't have that opportunity." Again, I'm not sure if he was saying he was going back in April but not to film the movie or if he was saying he wouldn't be back in April because he wouldn't be filming the movie. Then there was some more after that but I can't even begin to tell you what it meant lol! Something about possibly working with the filmaker Zhang Yimou who also produced the Beijing Olympic Ceremonies - I only know who he is b/c I Googled him LOL! Did you know he was also TIME Magazine's 2008 Person of the Year? Nah, me either =) OK I'm rambling! - and then something about Yao, whom I'm assuming is Yao Ming, the Chinese basketball center for the Houston Rockets. Yeah, it makes no sense to me either LOL!)

Now as for the xiao long bao mentioned above, I did a little research & found out that it is some type of dumpling soup or soup dumpling - whatever, I don't like dumplings or soup very much for that matter! Anyway, it is traditionally steamed in small bamboo baskets, known as xiao long, hence the name. Xiao long bao is more popularly known in Shanghai as xiaolong mantou. Mantou describes both filled and unfilled buns in southern China, but only describes unfilled buns in northern China. To avoid confusion, the name xiao long bao is usually used in other areas.

Ok moving right along! Xiaolongbao are traditionally filled with soup and meat, but variations include seafood and vegetarian fillings, as well as other possibilities. The characteristic soup inside is created by wrapping solid meat gelatin inside the skin alongside the meat filling. Heat from steaming then melts the gelatin into soup. Traditionally, the Xiaolongbao is a snack item. The buns are served hot in the bamboo baskets in which they were steamed, often on a bed of napa cabbage, and may be dipped in Chinkiang vinegar with ginger slivers. Xiaolongbao have also become popular as a main dish. In Cantonese regions and the West, it is also commonly served as a yum cha item.

7 comments:

SoHo said...

awww sucks! he's not doing that movie. Oh well. Maybe next time. But at least we will see him in that independent film and the play. YAY!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah..sucks that he is not doing the movie..but can't wait for the independant movie & Play!! OMG!! I wanna go watch that play!! Hmmm good reason for me to finally go to USA AGAIN!! hehehehe

Laila - I checked with my chinese collegues here and you got the Xiao long bau correct :) They said those can be found at most of the chinese restaurants here :)

Laila said...

Well we'll be happy to have you in the states, Zie!

Thanks for letting me know about the xiao long bau! Glad to know research pays off!

Yingee said...

Hello everyone,
One thing I think I can help for you gals, is translation, if you get any chinese words (interview from chinese magazines or any chinese articles about Went) need to translate into english, I think I can help, as I can read traditional chinese (but I can read a little bit simple chinese). I will try my best to translate it for you, just give me time.

Laila said...

Yingee, girl, you know I'm going to take you up on that offer! I've got about 10 articles I'm going through right now that I need help with! I'll send them to you but take your time on it. No rush! I appreciate your willingness to help! I'll post what I can for now & if anything needs to be changed, I'll change when you reply with your translations! I love how the love of Wentworth can bring people together for all over the world, all walks of life, many different languages - it's a beautiful thing! See Wentworth, we love you for more reasons than you know!

Laila (SoLo) =)

agreencitygirl said...

Obviously so distracted by pics, I missed where it said play and indie movie??? fill me in..I'll meet you all there for the play.lol

Laila said...

Well, Honey, if you've been distracted by those wretched watermarked photos, just wait LOL! Watching videos trying to figure out more about this movie & play now! I'll post all that within this lifetime, I promise LOL! It's so much stuff since last night!