Sunday, August 24, 2008

MMM... did you make that? 8/24

SoLo's Cre-Jun Gumbo

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned gumbo & promised a recipe soon! Well, soon is today LOL! Gumbo is one of those traditional South Louisiana recipes that you just can't get anywhere else! I know you can find recipes all over the place but if it doesn't come from someone whose lived here all their life, it ain't right (sorry to the rest of Louisiana, the other49 states & beyond)! Also, if anyone tries to give you a recipe with tomato sauce in it, PLEASE RUN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN!! And gumbo is NOT just for cold weather, either! No ma'am (or sir)! I've cooked it twice this summer & my mom is trying to get me cook some for her birthday on September 3!

Now before we get to the recipe, I need to give you a little history lesson (far from boring, I promise)! There are two different types of gumbo: Cajun (chicken & sausage) and Creole (seafood). Cajun people are the folks who live in what we call "Acadiana" (not necessarily just that parish). Lafayette, LA is considered to be the largest Cajun city! Creole people are primarily in & around New Orleans, LA. In the Creole part of the state, seafood was virtully unlimited because of their access to the Spillway! On the other hand, in Cajun-land, their primary resource was things like chicken & sausage, thus the difference in the gumbo ingredients! Cool right? Yeah I know! BUT what's even cooler is yours truly has adopted both methods of cooking a delicious dish by combining them! The end result - "Cre-Jun" - is magnifico!!!!!!!

Anyway, on to the recipe. I'm not gonna say mine is the best in the world, but until I eat some that is better, I'll claim the crown LOL! You gotta' understand: I am VERY picky about food & before I learned how to cook this dish, I would not eat it because it can very easily be cooked the wrong way! "What's the wrong way", you ask? I have no idea because mine always comes out perfect LOL (modest devil, aren't I)!! So if you follow this recipe to the letter, I promise you will NOT go wrong! Enjoy my favorite South Louisiana dish!

CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPE!

No comments: