Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Beloved Michael

On June 25, around 3 am, I woke up and for some reason, couldn't get back to sleep. I lay awake trying my best to get back to sleep. I started praying b/c that is usually a sure way for me to get back to sleep, but not this morning.

As I prayed, I thought about my brothers, so immediately I assumed that the reason I couldn't sleep was b/c I was supposed to be up praying for them. Little did I know that my prayers were for my other brother. The one that made me smile as a kid with the meer sound of his voice... the one that made me want to grow up and marry someone like him... the one who I cried over many times b/c he was so amazing... the one I hadn't seen in years but still held a special place in my heart... the one I would never see again after that day.

I finally fell asleep after about an hour or so & didn't think much of it until about 2:30 when I got a text message saying "Michael Jackson is gone." I'm like, "what do you mean he's gone?" "He died." "He died? 'Beat It' & 'Thriller' Michael Jackson?" "Yes, the King of Pop; he's gone. Cardiac arrest." I remember those texts like it was today.

As I type this, I still cry b/c I love Michael so much & this is still as shocking today as it was that day. Trying to celebrate his birthday will be very difficult, knowing that I'll never see him dance again ~ never hear him sing again... the music stopped that day... my childhood died that day, along with my beloved, Michael.

Michael, I hope that my prayers made a difference & I hope that you are finally resting in peace - no paps, no ugly stories, no lies, no ignorance... just the peace & tranquility that you sought for so long. I love you more & Happy Birthday...

1 comment:

Zie said...

Laila - I was watching his concert on Saturday and without realising it i was crying! My 1st nephew Umar was so upset also. My sis said he cried! Now he knows all of MJ's songs.
Ali my 2nd nephew trying to dance like MJ!

MJ was truly special! He touched everyone's lives with his love and magic