Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What do they mean: "the last season"?

The buzz online today is that Entertainment Weekly had a heart to heart with Prison Break producer Matt Olmstead. Now I'm 95% sure I read this somewhere like 2 or 3 weeks ago. I particularly remember the part where Mr. Olmstead says "There’s a shelf life to serialized drama. If this is the last season, we’re not mourning that because it’s been a great ride and we have a great season [ahead]." I can't find where I posted this before, so I'm assuming I just read it (during one of my many trysts online) without blogging about it. I have my moments... don't shoot me!

Anyway, they're saying the ratings for my favorite show are down this season. I find it hard to believe because I think this season is very exciting! I've been on the edge of my seat at each commercial break - although, I was on the edge of my seat during every commercial break the past three years... sooooo, erm... don't know if that's a good argument! I mean I know ratings mean a lot to these networks but we fans are anxiously awaiting every episode. Forget the people who don't watch anymore or at all... the fans, who remain faithful, love the show and we should count for something! You hear that FOX? We matter!!!!

Matt O goes on to say that if the show is cancelled in the middle of the season, the writers are "prepared. The season finale we have in mind could play as a season or series finale." He says that [Prison Break] producers have "absolutely been encouraged by the response" to the fourth season. "It took a while to get the right idea... and to have the audience supporting it is very gratifying."

This sucks if this is a possibility. I have already grasped the concept that this might be the last season. I'm not happy about it but I understand that the show can't run forever BUT there is no way possible that FOX can axe it without giving us 22 episodes! It's bad enough we didn't have a full third season; this would just be a spit in the face!
ETA: We have a poll right now that asks our readers to vote if they like/dislike/etc. the new season. A couple of people voted they don't like it (I think I know who one person is LOL). In light of what Matt Olmstead has said, I'd like to know what you guys don't like about the show! I'm just trying to understand what has turned/is turning people off.


Info credit: Digital Spy; Emo credit: FallenJrBlue on Photobucket

No comments: