Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Let your voice be heard!

Barack Obama

"In the face of impossible odds, people who love their country can change it."

It was election weekend in my city this past weekend. I absolutely hate leaving my house for any reason! I am truly lazy; I can't lie! But I had a conversation with a 15 year old the other day & he said that he wouldn't register to vote because he doesn't care whose president because it wouldn't affect him any. I was actually shocked to hear that & asked him why he thought the people who hold these political offices didn't affect him. He couldn't really answer me & so I began to explain the state of our nation to him. I explained that if he didn't exercise his right to vote, then he would be making null the fight people like Martin Luther King, Jr. went through so everyone's voice could be heard. Voting is an expression of speech & your vote, though only one, does count.

After that conversation, I began to check myself. The polls are open from 6am to 8pm so I can be very flexible about when choosing a time to go. I chose to go around 5pm Saturday evening. As I walked in, there was an older lady & a couple walking in as well. After my identification was verified, I walked in the booth, punched in my choices for local politicians and walked out. The whole process took only 5 minutes & it wouldn't taken that long had I not been third in line! I felt empowered because, in voting, I just told my city, my state, my nation, who I wanted to represent me!

The right to vote only gives us the opportunity to show how important we are to our world. Actually going to the polls to vote lets us & everyone else know that we do have a place in this world. Exercise your right to vote! Let your voice be heard! Remember: if you don't vote, you have no right to complain!

No comments: