Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lakers & Michael Jackson have something in common!


For those of you guys who aren't Laker fans or don't keep up with the news, we have now acquired NBA bad boy Ron Artest. Ron Artest will be a forward in the upcoming 09-10 season with the LA Lakers. He has chosen #37 to wear on his jersey in honor of Michael Jackson! Michael's original Thriller LP stayed at No. 1 on the charts (it was actually on the charts a total of 56 weeks... that's more than a YEAR - someone correct me if I'm wrong). Here's what Ron had to say:


"I was trying to figure out a number, I was talking to my wife and kids," Artest said during the press conference. "I was on my Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook and asking everybody to help me pick a number. On my MySpace, somebody named Trish The Dish came up with the #37 and said that Michael Jackson's Thriller was 37 weeks at number one of all-time. 23, I was going to choose. It was available. It's a great number but, I thought [with] that 37 and Thriller, I can make that a new great number. I think more kids should start getting the #37 for a great human being, since Michael loved all people. I think I'm representing greatness in wearing #37." Ron also recorded a song called "Michael, Michael" in honor of Michael.



The Sunday after Michael's death, three of his albums were in the top three spots (422,000 in the U.S., up from 10,000 a week earlier) and 2.3 million tracks have been downloaded in the United States alone! The week's tally was greater than all the Jackson albums sold from the start of the year to June 21.

No comments: