Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Get On The Starting Line!


Alrighty!! so summer is just around the corner and well,... the beach bod is calling. So answer the call!!!! I am going to feel free to set a goal for those of you who want to get into shape but are having a tough time. Anybody up for a challenge?
Here's how it will work should you decide to do it. Of course I'll be doing it with you so you wont be alone and that will help motivate.
Ok we will need to share how much we weigh... yes ladies, we really do and we have to be honest. then we will share our goal weight and if we want muscle or not. I am a fan of the toned body as I do have muscle on me because I work out like a freakin maniac for that alone.



We will set aside at LEAST AN HOUR out of our day to work out. Do cardio work outs to melt the fat and eventually weights and resistance to tone the body once the fat has melted.
We will write our starting weight down and continue working out until our goal is reached. I will email and keep checking in with you to make sure youre exercising. And DONT LIE TO ME BECAUSE I WILL KNOW!!! I've been away from the blog because work and exercise has taken up most of my time so I thought it would be great to bring my exercise to the blog that way I am exercising and still interacting with you all because I will check up on you. Sound good? well let me know if your in.
We'll exchange info through email because I dont want anybody posting their weight and goal on the site because us ladies can be a bit sensitive about that. LOL!

I am keeping a log with your name, age (optional), current weight, goal weight and what exercise you did for the day. Of course you must change your eating habits potato chips and exercise wont is not going to work. Some people do liposuction or other surgery (especially out here in L.A. as we are cosmetic surgery capitol) but let's be honest, you didnt gain the weight with help of surgery so so why would you spend your hard earned money to lose the weight when you can do it for free with some good ole sweat and hard work?

Anybody up for the challenge? Oh come on!!! I said i'll be there with you. trust me I'll work out with you and push you till the very end. so are you in? Shoot me an email and I'll add you to my list.
Check with your physician first before starting any exercise regime. I am by no means an expert but i am one determined young woman. Some of the guys at work have asked me to take them running with me so I thought you guys should join the team. Believe me, when I invite people to work out with me, I really make them work just ask Laila. LOL!!! I think she's even called me a drill Sargent LOL!!!

In the mean time, here are some tips from the health experts to keep you going through with your exercises. Remember, there is no secret to weight loss, no magic food or diet, you just have to naturally melt it off there is no secret weapon. NO PAIN, NO GAME!!! HOP TO IT!!! GET UP!! LET'S GO!!!



On certain days, workouts can leave you feeling rejuvenated and inspired—especially when it seems your body is functioning at peak performance. Other days, it’s all you can do to drag yourself through a 20-minute stint on the elliptical. When obvious culprits like dehydration or lack of sleep don’t apply, this up-and-down exercise cycle probably has you wondering: What are the little-known factors that improve or hamper training performance? WomansDay.com spoke with nutrition and fitness experts Lauren Antonucci from Nutrition Energy and Amie Hoff from Hoff Fitness for tips on how you can optimize your workouts and end unpredictable exercise days for good.
Get schedule savvy

Most people head to the gym in a hurry, only allotting themselves a specific amount of time to exercise. This negatively impacts performance because instead of focusing on your workout, you're thinking of all the other things you have to get done. "The point of your workout should be to enjoy the experience of maintaining a healthy body and lifestyle," Antonucci says.
Tip: Time your workout sessions carefully so that you can take pleasure in the process of getting fit.
Stop comparing

Hoff points out that many people are guilty of comparing themselves to fellow gym goers, which takes the focus away from your workout. (Who hasn't scoped out that super-slim girl on the treadmill or the chiseled-to-perfection personal trainer?)
Tip: It helps to show up at the gym feeling your best, so invest in a new pair of sneakers or workout clothes to help boost your exercise self-esteem.
Avoid sugary snacks

Abstain from any high-fructose or high-sugar foods about an hour before working out, both Antonucci and Hoff say. This will help you avoid the sluggish feeling that accompanies a "sugar crash."
Tip: If your sweet tooth is acting up right before a gym session, try satisfying your cravings with some fresh or dried fruits.
Set attainable goals

"If you feel like you're going to fail, you will," says Hoff. Instead, set realistic goals based on your lifestyle, needs and desires-the positive reinforcement you feel when reaching your target will encourage you to keep going.
Tip: Set performance-based goals rather than weight-based. The scale will always fluctuate, but two miles on the treadmill is always two miles.
Indulge in a little caffeine

Having a small dose of caffeine a few hours before your workout can give you that extra little boost in the gym, explains Hoff. However, overdoing it can hinder your workout, so don't let your intake exceed 12 ounces (that's one cup of coffee/tea or one can of soda) when you're planning to hit the weights.
Tip: Try green tea sweetened with honey-it's low in calories, high in antioxidants and doesn't contain a large amount of caffeine.
Eat the right snacks

Have a light snack two to three hours before your workout; this way, you'll feel satisfied at the gym and not feel starved afterwards, preventing the post-exercise binge.
Tip: Choose a snack that's a mix of "good carbs" and protein. Half a sandwich, an apple or celery with peanut butter are good examples of healthy pre-workout snacks.
Have the right attitude

Be confident! Hoff says maintaining a positive attitude has incalculable benefits when it comes to being able to complete a workout.
Tip: Focus on the positive instead of the negative. For example, taking a step towards a more healthy life is always something to be happy about, no matter how many crunches you can do in one sitting.
Use relationships to your advantage

Develop a positive support network, whether it's comprised of friends, trainers or gym buddies. Working off others' positive energy can give you the extra motivation you need to complete that last rep-or to get to the gym in the first place!
Tip: Even if you don't belong to a gym, you can pair up with a buddy and spot each other during weight training sessions at home. Ladies, consider forming a supportive walking group with other women in your neighborhood.
Pump up the music

Both experts agree that when you listen to music while exercising, you tend to match your pace to the tune. Keep the rhythm upbeat! It's also a good idea to update your playlist weekly; new songs will help keep you motivated.
Tip: Visit Rhapsody.com for good examples of cardio workout playlists.
Discover variety in your gym life

When you perform the same workout day after day, your body eventually builds a resistance to the routine, decreasing the positive effects of the exercises. To maximize results, Hoff recommends rotating through several different strength-training exercises and cardio machines at the gym.
Tip: Try something new! Hop onto that unfamiliar machine or check out a new class; you never know what you might end up liking. Remember, if you aren't certain about how to work a certain machine, don't be afraid to ask for assistance from a gym employee- that's what they're there for.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOHO!!! I was just thinking...hmm where did she go? Did she abandon the blog? sniff sniff, glad you are alive and well. sobe

SoHo said...

ha ha ha ha no, i've been really busy. it just doesnt stop. LOL!!! but i am here now. Nice to see ur still here. I've really missed you gals a whole damn lot. LOL!!

Yingee said...

Welcome back, SOHO!
When talking about work out, seem everyone just want to loss weight... but, no one think about how to gain some weight. For me, I spent so many years to put on my weight... but every time failed... anyone can help me?!? Yingee in blue :(

Laila said...

Yeah, yeah, I'll get on board... you already know my weight - FAT LOL! Nah, not really but I wanna lose some pounds for my vacation in July so I'll work on it. I just ate breakfast but I can't work out now but I'll do it when I get home this evening. My preferable time to do it would be midday when I'm feeling least energetic; hopefully that will give me the "pick me up" I need!

Yingee, girl, don't fret! I had that "problem" for so long then life happened & I gained about 10 pounds! Now I'm trying to get them off! Be happy for a slightly overactive thyroid or very good metabolism (hopefully it's the latter). Mine still works pretty well but it gets lazy as I am lazy - that's bad! If you truly want to put on a few pounds, I suggest doing it the safest way by talking to your doctor or nutritionist!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Solo...a lot of men have the same problem, Yingee. Most of the guys I know, eat healthy regular meals and do some resistance/weight training in order to keep toned and have a little more meat (definition) to them.

ciao bellas-sobe

Sweet-n-Stuff said...

S E Here,

I'm already on it with Dr. Ian Smith. I'm not specifically part of the 50 Million Pound Challenge (haven't joined the site), but I bought the book a while before he actually became so big from the Tyra Banks Show. I don't watch her show, but I saw other women in the grocer who said that's where they heard about him. Me? I just spotted his book one day while I was in Borders and bought it. This is my second go at it. I had to get off last time b/c of $$$. I couldn't afford the food anymore! Trust me, it costs to eat healthy! I've been on it since February. I haven't been doing the exercise like I should but I'm still losing inches. My jeans are beginning to fall off of me. I'm not so concerned about the pounds, just the inches. I don't even own a scale and I don't ever intend to. BTW, I've always been a big girl. I'm confortable in my own skin. I think I'm very sexy and I look great. I just want to, uhm, accentuate it. I'm not bragging, but men and women often compliment me using the word "beautiful." We all know that not everyone can nor is supposed to be a size 2. I just want to proclaim that I'm doing this mostly out of vanity.

I'd also like to remind everyone that heavy doesn't always mean unhealthy. Most of my thin friends have terrible cholesterol and other serious, underlying health problems, but I've always gotten a clean bill of health from my doc. I don't want to be a size 2 anyway. I'm a grown woman with 2 children. I just want to be smaller than I am. I wish everyone a "Happy Reducing!" And I hope you do the same for me! :)

For you Yingee, "Happy Gaining!"

Laila said...

SE, I must say that I do agree w/what you said. I guess I should rephrase a little of what I said b/c I, too, don't care about the actual weight so much. I only care about the inches. I don't mind telling you guys that I weigh about 160 & I'm 5'6" BUT I'm rather thin. My problem is the tummy area only... my tummy is pudgy as hell LOL no joke, everything else is good, except another area I won't discuss... I will say the Lord truly blessed me there LOL!

Anyhoot, I don't think I was ever a size 2... like, never... 6-8 yeah like now, but a 2! I've always been thin, so thin that nothing ever fit me right! That's why I know Yingee's pain on that! But right now, I've really gotta get back on track b/c I have seriously not done anything in awhile! I think it's great to motivate each other & I'll be checking in if you guys will. I will tell you that when I start, I will be using alli which works EXTREMELY well. I like it b/c I'm more cognizant of what I'm eating & how much I'm eating. I also I lost weight w/it last year & did great on the program! Basically, all you do is cut the fat & calories, add a little more movement to your day & it the weight/inches come off!

Yingee said...

Thank you so much, Laila. You really, understand me. As my problem is, I am not size 2, I am size 1, or size 0(OK, I know there is no size 0), I am so difficult to buy clothers, especially jeans and dresses. Anyway, I promised my best friend that I will put up my weight around 10 to 15 pounds. As she is going to marry on Dec. of next year.

Laila said...

You're welcome, Yingee! Wow, you're a zero? OMG you are tiny girl! I think the only real way to gain weight is to take in more calories than you can burn off. It might be hard to do if your metabolism is excellent and you are very active, but I think a nutritionist could really help you with that. I've never been as tiny as you are but I have been really tiny for my height & bone structure! The good thing about bone structure is it gives the "appearance" of a smaller size when you're actually a fat moose like I am LOL! The bad part about it is, is that you weigh more than other people your size so you think you're fat, like me LOL! That's why when SE said she's more concerned w/losing inches, I have to agree with her... that's me! You, I think, can probably gain weight sensibly & keep a good proportionate size. You can probably gain some muscle along the way! Find yourself a good nutritionist & personal trainer - if you can - and you'll be fine! Just don't eat too many fatty foods & sweets b/c you'll gain the weight but you won't be so happy with it b/c it'll be mostly fat that you gain & that will suck lol!