Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ramen Challenge!!!




OK, So today I was off from work and my boss decided to take today off as well so we could have lunch together. What was the special occasion? Well, I was going to take the Orochon Ramen special #2 challenge. Still confused? Ok basically what this challenge is, is you are served a big bowl of super spicy ramen noodles and broth and the goal is to completely eat the entire bowl of fiery noodles and broth within 30 minutes and your prize for completing the challenge is you get a Polaroid picture of yourself on the wall of the restaurant along with everybody else that has completed the challenge. So there I was sitting in the air conditioned dining area of this Japanese ramen shop waiting for my boss to get there. The friendly staff greeted me and served me water as soon as I was seated. as I looked around...


I could see dozens of customers enjoying their giant bowl of steamy hot noodles; None however, had the Special #2. Was I the only one bold enough to try it? Yes! I finished sending Laila a txt and I feel someone squeeze my shoulders, It was my boss! Finally I can get started with my challenge!! As soon as he was seated our orders were taken. I ordered the special #2 and was warned of it's spiciness. "That's ok" I said. And in just a few minutes a steamy bowl of noodles arrives to our table. It was my boss's miso ramen soup. 15 seconds later a piping hot bowl of spicy ramen is placed in front of me and the waiter starts his timer. "ok you have thirty minutes, good luck" he says. I immediately start spooning the boiling hot broth in my mouth burning my tongue but I dont care because I am going to win that challenge. My boss asks me if it's spicy and I answer, "no, it's not spicy, it's just hot in temperature and there seems to be a whole damn lot of food in my bowl... more than yours" he laughs and says "Mayra, i don't know how you're gonna finish it, I see this giant bowl of food in front of this tiny woman and honestly I am thinking there's no way you're going to finish all that food". My response? " You're supposed to be rooting for me and I don't hear you cheering me on" LOL!! We start joking around and I tell him to stop talking to me because I need to finish my challenge. As a vegetarian, I didnt want to eat the pork in my soup so I gave it to my boss. LOL! It was the first time in almost ten years that I put meat infused broth and even bit's of meat into my mouth all for the sake of sticking it up for this challenge. 12 minutes down and I start feeling the hit. I feel so full I can burst but I must fight my way through this challenge!!! I put some noodles in my mouth and forcfully swallow them. My speed is slowing down significantly and my bowl is not even a fourth down. I turn to my boss and say " I am not gonna finish this challenge am I?" LOL!! He smiles and responds "Mayra I wish I could say yes but too much time has elapsed and you still have all that food in your bowl. You're too small to eat all that food. It's impossible nobody can do it". I turn to the wall of polaroid pictures of all the victorious people that have won the challenge (all men by the way) and say to my boss "they were able to finish! why can't I?" He says "Well because they are sick fucks!" I looked at my still full bowl of ramen and say "I want to be a sick fuck too" LOL!! At this point I know there is no way in hell I can continue eating. My boss says "alright Mayra, I think you have to waive the white flag and surrender" I answer "NEVER! I may not finish this in thirty minutes but I will eat till the very end."
Sad to say I didnt finish my bowl of ramen noodles. Not because they were "spicy" (to me they were not spicy at all as I am used to spicy food because I grew up with it) but because it was just WAY TOO MUCH FOOD! I told my boss I felt defeated and he tried to make me feel better of course. LOL!!! I was so determined but I failed miserably. My bowl was still completely full. It was just way too much food. After we left the restaurant, we hung out for a bit and then we had to part. My boss wanted to treat me to frozen yogurt but I simply couldnt eat another bite of anything. "what's next?" he asked? "The beach" I replied. "what's there?" Uh, lot's of water and sand" I responded jokingly. "what are you gonna do there?" he asked. "Run off my noodles"
"You didn't even eat anything!"
"yes I did! check out the baby bump! I have a baby bump and ate pork for nothing cuz I didnt even win! damn I am so sad"
"dont be sad" he replies.
We eventually part ways and I head to the beach. I ran for a bit and watched the seaguls float in the water. As the sun starts to set I feel bad because i really felt defeated. "What will make me happy right now?" I thought to myself.
"CHOCOLATE!!!"
I buy a big bar of chocolate and enjoy every last bit of it's silky texture and rich cacao flavor.
"ah! that was satisfying!"
Now I must run that off too... but tomorrow. LOL!!
I hop in my little red prius and head home. I check my email and there they are... the pictures my boss sent me that he took of me as I was taking the challenge. He only sent me two... I know he took more than just two but whatever. I'll ask him for them tomorrow. the picture above is my ramen bowl after I had eaten all I could eat. LOL!! I lost big time!! LOL!!!
Anyway I am glad I did the challenge even though I didnt finish it.
I may have failed and admitted defeat, but not once did i even think of backing out, I went full force anyway.
Well that was my ramen challenge. Until next time!!
thanx for reading!!!

Love Ya!

SoHo



4 comments:

Zie said...

Aww sorry you didn't win the challenge but hey you had fun rite??

chocolates?? Aren't you still on no chocs diet thingy lol!

SoHo said...

LOL I DID HAVE LOTS OF FUN. MY NO CHOCOLATE DIET LASTED A GOOD 3 MONTHS AND I WAS FEELING DOWN SO I THOUGHT THAT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY LOL

Gimble said...

You have such an adventurous, fun spirit, SoHo.
I want to take the challenge too. Not because I want to win but because I love extra helpings of food. Mmmmm. Was it tasty? And is it like regular Ramen or their house version? Which restaurant does it?

SoHo said...

Hi Gimble!!!
Thanx for the compliments. Youre too sweet. LoL!
I am sure you will have more than enough food at this place because really, their portions are really huge. It was really tasty even thought it had pork in it and I am a vegetarian. LOL I took one for the team LOL. the ramen was regular ramen except a tad bit thicker. the restaurant is called "Orochon Ramen" and it's in downtown Los Angeles. I if i remember correctly, you live out here too so definitely give it a try. you'll have a ton of fun. OOH and they have cool t-shirts!! I am so getting one next time i go. LOL