Thursday, July 15, 2010

To tip or not to tip?


I read a posting on yahoo about this girl being upset that she went to a restaurant and tipped before she got her food for take out, and when they brought her her take out food, not only her but everyone that ordered take out had to box and bag their own food. so she was upset that the credit card receipt had that famous line that said tip and she tipped but then when her food was brought out, she had to box and bag her own food. then she said that why should she tip if she's gonna be doing the work. I agree. with her and frankly I dont tip when I order take out. then I thought, I am a VERY GENEROUS tipper but I am basically tipping waiters at restaurants for them to do their jobs? I mean I've worked in kitchens all over LA as a cook now chef and did I ever get tips for doing my job? NO!!! so I am starting to rethink this whole tipping business. I know restaurant jobs pay crap to their waiters but believe me, cooks get paid crap too. even less than waiters and they get NO TIPS!!! Do lawyers get tips for doing their job? do doctors get tips for doing their job? do sales reps get tips for doing their job? It is absolutely annoying when I get a receipt to sign and it has a blank line and tip is written next to it. I admit I have many many many times left the line blank because I think it's rude to have that line on the receipt. Ur basically asking me for a tip and that's a no no in my book. I also HATE the jars ppl put at the counter when ur gonna pay. What do they want those tips for? just for being there? that's also rude to me and ridiculous. I definitely dont tip the jars. that's just insane. so how do you feel about tipping? as a matter of fact, I thought tips were a voluntary not customary. I think I will start rethinking my tips.

2 comments:

fuser said...

about the tips..
in your coundry, waiters amd all the people how work in servis they don't take enough money from they bosses because they(the boss) tell them that they'll have the rest of the money from the tips.
is not our fault.
the problem will solved if all of them demanded the regular pay fron the ownwrs of the restaurants so they will not have to be so bad with the people all the time.
and if they have the regular pay in they pockets maybe then they'll behave much better and we 'll give them more tips just because we feel it right.
the lawyers,the chefs and all the working in normal jobs people have a regular pay every month or every week but the waiters is the most bad pay people in the labour market.
in my coundry the waiters and all the people who work in serve the have a regular pay by the law and all the tips for they pockets.
(the problem here is if the waiter have the good mood the day you'll show up..! lol)

SoHo said...

I blame the owners for this tip madness. I think cooks should get tips too since they are the stars of the restaurants. right?