Thursday, February 11, 2010

SCARIEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!!


On my way home from work today I was feeling really really sick. I got a cold so I had a headache I was sneezing a lot and I was glad to be going home. On my way home I was switching onto a turning lane to make a right turn and I switch over safely. I keep driving straight when out of nowhere a young male runs across the three lanes of the street right in front of my car and I hit the breaks but couldnt stop on time. I HIT THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!! he rolled off the side of the hood of my car and fell to the floor. I was in total shock!!! the guy looked sooooooooo shocked as well. He apparently was illegal in this country and was off the ramp of the freeway selling flowers for a living. He picked up his flowers and I told him to turn meet me in the lot of the next building. Luckily an off duty female police officer was there and she called the ambulance. The guy only spoke spanish so I spoke to him and asked if he was ok he said yes. I asked if he wanted to go to the hospital...



He said no and said that he was fine. I asked him what part of his body is hurt and he said just his elbow. Then I asked him why he was running across the three lanes like that at such a dangerous spot where there was no pedestrian cross walk or traffic lights to which he had no reply. He wanted to start walking away but I asked him to stay until the paramedics arrived. The off duty officer repeatedly had to ask him to stay seated because he wanted to leave. The paramedics arrived and the off duty police officer explained the situation and left. I stayed with the paramedics to translate for them. One of the paramedics and me went to sit inside the back of the ambulance and asked the young man to join us to file a report. He was asked again if he wanted to go to the hospital and again he said no. I could tell this guy was afraid that he would be deported back to his country so I reassured him that it was safe for him to give the paramedic his information and he wouldnt be deported. paperwork was filled out and the young man was checked by the paramedic and was released at the young man's request. I asked the paramedic if I needed to file a report on my behalf and he said I could if I wanted to wait for the police to get there. I was in such shock and they young man had already left so I felt there was no need to file one. I thanked the paramedic and was on my way home. I swear it was the absolute scariest site to see somebody running across the road like that during rush hour and to see this guy be hit by u and falling omg I was trembling it was insanely scary!!! I felt horrible and the nice paramedic reassured me that it was nobody's fault. I guess he saw how terrible I felt when It wasnt my fault at all. Anyway I am glad nothing happened to this young man. Only 18 years old. WOW!!!!!!!!!! so scary. Anyway that was my drive home.

3 comments:

Hanan said...

WOW!...Talk about a scary day!

Happy to now that nothing happened to the guy and you!

Gimble said...

Yikes! Sometimes I forget that driving in LA is a nightmare but you get reminded frequently enough. Long ago and oh so far back east, I had my license for about a month when a 4 year old kid ran across the street as I drove past his house on a small street. I was probably going about 20 miles an hour. At first, he was sitting on his porch and within seconds was running from between 2 parked cars. I was so scared I slammed harder on the accelerator. That actually saved me. He ended up running right into my passenger car door and just bounced off. It was drama.

I'm so sorry you experienced this. I feel really bad for that guy and hope everything is fine with him.

SoHo said...

Gimble,

OMG WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a little kid? OMG that's way scarier!! Hey no worries about me or that guy. He's ok and I am ok to... that's life and stuff happens so we just learn from experiences and move on. I am sure he wont be running across three lanes like that again and I am sure I'll look for ppl running through streets where they're not supposed to. you know? its just a learning experience... I guess.