Tuesday, April 13, 2010

korean food at last



Ok so finally it's my day off and I will finish my posts. lets start with my trip to the tofu house... Ok so my friend Amina invited me to tofu house. This place is known for their soups. piping hot. still boiling at your table. anyway before you order they serve you sticky rice and water... then after ordering you get all the side dishes that come with the food. one dish holds a sort of clam and what look like pickled jalapeno peppers with a hint of anchovy mixture, another dish holds ice cold pickles with ice cubes served with them to keep the crunch another dish holds the famous korean pickled cabbage dish KIMCHI! and last a side of broccoli and cauliflower steamed topped with what I think was a lemon grass dressing that I absolutely loved!!! also you get a full fried fish with your meal and another dish with seasoned beansprouts!!!! I am no longer allergic to seafood anymore but I still couldnt bring myself to eat that fish. I LOVE BEANSPROUTS I LOVE BEANSPROUTS I LOVE BEANSPROUTS!!!! YUMMMMMMM!!!! Oh and yet ANOTHER DISH with a raw egg for you to crack into ur super hot soup. crack the egg in your soup and mix it so that the heat of your soup cooks your egg. These people must LOVE washing dishes LOL!!!
My soup was at the spiciest level... (to me not that spicy actually) and it was a tofu stew. basically vegetables stewed in some broth (not sure what kind of broth) with tofu. It's DELICIOUS!!! the service is incredibly fast. Your rice is served in a bowl that looks like it's made of lava rock material. anyway they scoop the rice out of the bowl for you and place it in a stainless steel rice cup. They add water to the rice that remains stuck in the rock bowl and let it set for a bit. At first I thought that they did that so that the rice could come off easy when they wash the dish but then I thought why would they leave that on my table? that would be unsanitary... then our waitress comes around and scrapes the toasted soggy rice from that rock bowl again and pours the water with the rice inside another stainless steel bowl and removes the rock bowl from our table. IT'S RICE SOUP!! more like rice porridge. because the rice stuck to the sides of the rock bowl, it gave the rice a nice toasted flavor a sort of barley flavor. VERY GOOD!! after a big meal this rice soup soothed my stomach nicely. then we went out to the front to take pictures of the restaurant and walked a few blocks to let our food set. anyway here are some pictures we took. ENJOY!!!



The rice soup/ porridge... whatever LOL!


my delicious tofu stew. with vegetables. mmmmm!! I dont normally eat egg but because of my anemia, I am slowly trying to eat eggs. this is a great way to hide eggs in your diet if you dont like eggs normally.



I eat very little and get full really fast but this place is soooo good I actually ate EVERYTHING!! Including side dishes minus the chili/clam/anchovy side or fish.






No comments: